Thursday May 1st, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
DVDs are here!!! Come get your Beginner & Intermediate West Coast Swing DVDs tonight at the Hacienda Hotel!
Bring your cash or checkbooks to upcoming classes, dances & events; we will also have credit card payment options soon (when Phil finishes his "Honey Do" List). If you buy DVDs in person with cash or check, we will treat for the tax! You can also contact us to order DVDs to be shipped, & very soon you will be able to get them through our website. There is one blooper on each DVD (one of me & one of Phil). We did too good of a job filming & didn't make enough mistakes! So next time we will be more silly & imperfect. So don't wait any longer to have us with you at home 24/7... but please have some boundaries & don't bring us into your bedroom or bathroom haha!
Also don't forget this Saturday, May 3rd is our big Workshop & Dance at the Hacienda! We are your DJs for the night. See the below for details.
By the way, we had an issue with our website link in the Newsletter. It's fixed now (thanks David), so you can go directly to our website from the link above or at the bottom. Also we have a new mailing address, which is on our Contact page. You can mail us a check to order DVDs. (Please disregard the old PO Box from past Newsletters.) You can make checks out to me... or Phil.
We want to applaud our Hacienda Dance Team for their great performance on Saturday at Rhonda's Event! It was the first time anybody saw the new routine, & the audience loved it. We will have pictures & a video up on our website soon. (Don't forget to check-in regularly on the website for frequent updates & added Special Events.) At the end of the evening, somebody asked us to play the song "Royal," & then he asked Phil if he could dance with his wife! This was not a person who gets our Newsletter, so he was not teasing us. I was standing there, thinking that this is happening more often now. How's that? Phil wants to interrupt right now, "Honey, we need to tell them about the Staples order. Remember the other day, when you started to write Mindia Adams again on the form? Maybe it's really you who is paying all these people to call you my wife!" I have the best solution... we will just call you Mr. Phil Robin instead!
On Easter, I saw that one of our friends posted a joke on Facebook. There were two chocolate bunnies, talking to each other. The 1st said, "My butt hurts." The 2nd bunny had its ears bitten off, & responded, "What did you say?" So I figured that the joke was the 1st bunny had been laying too many Easter eggs, & the 2nd bunny couldn't hear because somebody ate its ears. I thought it was so funny, so I showed Phil on the computer. I realized then that when I looked at the post initially on my phone, the bottom of the picture was cut off. Looking on the computer with Phil, I saw that the 1st bunny had its butt bitten off too! That started a whole debate... I said that the bunny's butt must have also been sore from laying all of those Easter eggs! Phil laughed at me & said, "Honey, bunnies don't lay eggs; they are mammals." I just asked him if he if sure that the Easter Bunny does not lay eggs; I thought it does, & then sits on them like chickens do. If not, then this naïve Jewish Girl from Philadelphia wants to know... Where do all of the Easter eggs come from then? Does anybody have the answer to this million dollar question?
FYI: Make sure to read the "Call You Out" section below, every Newsletter. You might be in there...
A Few Shameless Plugs
*Mark your calendars for three nights in the month of May that we are DJing! May 3rd (Our 1st Saturday Event), Thursday, May 15th, & Thursday, May 29th. All happening at the Hacienda Hotel.
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*The FREZNO DANCE CLASSIC EVENT is coming Memorial Day Weekend in May! We are very excited for this fun event. We will be teaching a workshop, & our Hacienda Dance Team will also be performing two routines! Let's celebrate with Steve Zener, the fabulous Event Director, because this will be the Thirtieth Anniversary. This year's theme is Back to 'Z' Future! In addition to the usual competitions & social dancing, this unique event also has ice cream socials, pizza parties, a Gong Show, a Karaoke Party, entertaining skits, & surprising costumes (wondering what Steve will be this time)! See website for more info: www.FreznoDance.com.
*Please check out the "New Highlights" section below for more updates.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
We are calling out our ladies on Dance Team! During practice, we noticed that the guys were doing the ladies part better than the ladies themselves! For those of you with puzzled expressions, you will have to come see the next Team performance to figure it out.
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "I'm Loving You More Everyday" by Leela James (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "I Want It All" by Karmin (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
Come & get them, or contact us to order!
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com. Please use this contact for any future communications.
* Our next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENT at the Hacienda Hotel is May 3rd, 2014! (Click here for details.) WE ARE YOUR DJs FOR THE NIGHT! (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES for the next few 1st Saturday Events: June 7th, & July 5th (Phil's Bday Party), August 2nd, & September 13th (Mindia's Bday Party), 2014! *NOTE* The event is on the 2nd Saturday just fort the month of September.
* We will teach at the Christian Country Round-up Dance the 3rd Saturday of next month, May 17th, at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic). This Dance is open for anybody to come. We will teach two Intermediate classes at 6:45 pm & 7:30 pm; stay tuned for details. (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is at 8:15 pm (a mix of music). FISRT TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). Three hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)