FRIDAY, April 5th, 2019!
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams' & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
Thanks to Steve Stingley for the great pic above! It's from our WCS Intermediate workshop in March, 2019. Our 1st Saturday Event at South Bay Dance Center in Lomita.
Happy Spring!!! Lots of important announcements & upcoming changes in this newsletter... Please read on!
GOOD NEWS FIRST! :-)
1. We have a mama hummingbird nesting outside my office window, in our orange tree. Spring has sprung.
2. John's turtle Pinkie came out from winter hiding today! And Jasper Cat is up to his usual nap & play schedule. He's here with us now, supervising.
3. Now back to dance stuff Lol. We are teaching & DJing at a bunch of special events. See below.
4. Management will be sanding & re-finishing the floor at our Thursday Elks venue! Also will be fixing the AC from recent issue.
5. We have more new, great music for you. And of course old classics, as always.
6. We heard the news that all of you reading this will be donating $1,000 to each of us. Just because... Lol.
BAD NEWS :-( (Shorter list, thank goodness.)
1. Many of you have heard the rumor that Phil is having shoulder surgery. Wish it was a rumor. But it is scheduled for April 17th.
2. I am on house duties for six weeks, including litter box, cat feedings, cooking (poor Phil), dishwashing, gardening etc. OMG... Phil just added that I needed to take out the trash too. I just made an angry face. This is in addition to many other responsibilities, & work stuff etc. Can't wait!
3. CANCELLED CLASSES/DANCES:
Thursday, April 11th Elks (actually due to City of Angels event)
Thursday, April 18th Elks (due to Phil's surgery)
Thursday, April 25th Elks (due to re-finishing the floor).
We did not plan on this unfortunate timing, to miss three weeks. But were informed more recently about the floor.
Wednesday, April 17th Memories (day of surgery)
GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE BAD NEWS! :-)
1. it's Phil's right shoulder that needs repair. Since it's not his lead arm, he plan's to go back to work within the first week of surgery. He thinks he is Superman. He will have his right arm in a sling for six weeks. Please come support our classes & dances.
2. We are accepting gifts, starting now... flowers, cash, gift cards, meals on wheels, etc. Lol!
3. Thanks goodness there are take-out options for dining.
4. We will be back at Elks for our usual Thursday schedule starting May 2nd. Phil has requested a POTLUCK in his honor! YAY!
***Here is the video from Steve Stingley of our Intermediate WCS workshop, from MARCH 2nd, 2019.*** Enjoy.
TOMORROW... 1st SATURDAY EVENT:
APRIL 6th, 2019!!!
Join us for our fun, monthly event. Usually 150 to 200 dancers come out to share their passion. COUNTRY 2-STEP, NIGHTCLUB 2-STEP, & WEST COAST SWING WORKSHOPS (must be at least Intermediate level), followed by SOCIAL DANCING! Private lessons may be available. See link above (1st Saturday Monthly Event) for details. Ages 18 & up.
South Bay Dance Center
Savers Plaza, behind O'Reilly Auto Parts
24817 S. Western Ave. (cross street is Lomita Blvd.)
Lomita, CA 90717
FREE PARKING in front or behind studio! Both doors are open to enter the studio.
4th SATURDAY, APRIL 27th
GUEST INSTRUCTORS at SOUTH BAY SWING! Int./Adv. WCS workshop.
8:30pm class. (No partner needed; must have good basics.)
Social Dance at 9:30pm.***Let us know if interested in doing private dance lesson before class.***
I AM DANCE HAPPY Studio (Switzer Learning Center)
2201 Amapola Court, Torrance, 90501
SUNDAY, APRIL 28th: BEGINNER WALTZ w/ PHIL!
12 to 2pm $25 per person. No partner needed.
I AM DANCE HAPPY studio (Switzer Learning Center)
2201 Amapola Court, Torrance, 90501
FRIDAY, MAY 3rd
GUEST INSTRUCTORS SOUTH BAY DANCE CLUB (El Segundo)
7pm Intermediate WCS (No partner needed; must know basics)
8pm Social Dance
***Let us know if interested in doing private dance lesson before classes.***
520 Main St., El Segundo 90245
SUNDAY, MAY 19th
GUEST INSTRUCTORS INT. WCS WORKSHOP, PASADENA BALLROOM DANCE ASSOCIATION (Pasadena).
6:30pm Intermediate WCS (No partner needed; must know basics) 7:30 to 9pm Social dance w/ DJs Phil & Mindia!
WE ARE BACK IN MAY FOR MORE FUN. TEACHING & DJing. DATE TBA.
WE WILL BE TEACHING OUR ANNUAL WCS WORKSHOP
At JACK & JILL O'RAMA DANCE EVENT in JUNE! Details coming... stay tuned.
CALL YOU OUT!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers, instead of each other! I'm calling out Roger... A few times recently, later in the night at our dance, he tried to walk out & leave without dancing with me. So I made him dance with me in his flip flops Lol!!!
TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST!
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
MINDIA'S SONG PICK
"Sweet Baby" by Malted Milk (thanks Christopher Chung!)
PHIL'S SONG PICK
"Champagne" by Lindsay Ell (thanks Matthiew Gilbert!)
OUR IMPROV EXHIBITION OF WEST COAST SWING... PERFORMED AT THE SPRING BALL, HOSTED by SOUTH BAY DANCE CLUB on MAY 18th, 2018 (Ayres Hotel)!
Thanks so much to Linda & Marie for inviting us to perform at their fun, classy event. Thanks so much to Mike Lucek for the video! More videos & pics are on our FB.
We are working on re-vamping one of our favorite past routines now; please let us know if interested in joining. This is an ideal time to start.
TUESDAYS in WHITTIER: UPDATE
Beginner classes are now $10 each. Phil had been overly generous for many years; he was due for a raise Lol!
***First time beginners are FREE!***
Private lessons may be available with Phil or myself. You will have fun, & learn stuff too! Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays. Various venues. Let us know if interested. Privates may also be split between 2 to 4 people (maybe more). Ask for the $5 discount per DVD when you schedule.
PROMO & ADVERTISING HELPERS!
If anybody wants to help us with promoting & advertising resources, please let us know.
JOIN US EVERY THURSDAY
At WESTCHESTER ELKS LODGE in Playa Del Rey for WEST COAST SWING CLASSES & DANCING! (No outside beverages please.) Ages 21 & up. See link above.
GREAT: Classes, dancing, music, big floor, & of course people! Also has AC & free parking! Ages 21 & up. See Thursday Classes Elks link above for info. PHIL & I NOW TEACH ALL LEVELS of WEST COAST SWING classes & DJ EVERY WEEK! (Click on link above for details.) We usually get between 70 & 90 people every Thursday... It has been a fun night every week.
Westchester Elks Lodge
8025 West Manchester Avenue,
Playa Del Rey, 90293
PARKING: FREE lot behind the lodge; enter the building through the door w/ "Elks" sign; enter from the parking lot.
We have two DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. You can purchase them with a credit card in person (cash or check is fine also), or through our web store! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
We have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class FREE! Punch cards do not expire. We do take credit cards in person or through our web-store.
Highlights... Takin' Care of Business
*DANCE DVD'S!: Payment & Options: Dance DVSs are $35 each (plus tax if credit card payment). Credit card payments are available in person, (or cash or check in person is fine also), or through our web store. If order your DVDs through our website, you have the option to click the "pick up at class" option (to avoid shipping charges), or you can have them shipped.
* Please add our joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts.
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia :-))) ..... & Phil